Hardback Hexwood (UK edition)

Fri Aug 20 01:20:40 EDT 2004

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 04:57:21 +0100 (BST), Tanaqui Weaver wrote:

>I'm a bit baffled as to why the only adjective in my sentence, which was a
>relevant adjective, needed to be iterated more clearly...
>
>but even more baffled that absolutely no-one seems to want the ex-library
>gay+ copy. I shall hand it to the same roleplaying friend who had _Homeward
>Bounders_ thrust upon him a few years ago (an Angus, not on this list)
>unless someone on-list speaks up within a week or so...

I'd ask for it, but I already have one.  I think it should go to someone who
doesn't have a copy already, if possible.  (My US edition is the pouffed one
with the weird green-eyed tree person cover.  I bet yours is prettier.)  So
I'm basically trying not to be greedy even though it is my favorite DWJ and
I do like UK editions.

I hit a gold mine at Bookman's--SEVEN copies of used DWJ books, or more if
you count the four Dalemark books separately (they were in a single volume).
_Fire and Hemlock_ in the weird Polly cover, _Witch Week_, _Magicians of
Caprona_, _Power of Three_ in the MagicQuest edition....I forget which else,
because I couldn't buy them all.  Pity I didn't have more money to spend, as
more of my budget these days is going toward excellent books to give away to
others.

Bookman's has changed how they organize their YA sections in the two years
since I was last there, and now you have to know to check the regular
section, the SF/Fantasy section, the award-winners section (Megan Whalen
Turner, but ALL her books were in that one place--go figure) and the Series
section to find everything you want.  All the MagicQuest books were on one
shelf together as a series.  Lucky for me, but a bit hard on anyone who was
also looking for Paul Fisher's _The Ash Staff_ series and only looked in SF.
Hee hee hee.

But this is another example of the economics behind my not shopping more at
Amazon.uk (or Amazon US, or Barnes & Noble, or the local independent store
The Read Leaf).  I am, basically, a cheapskate.  If I spend $52.75 on books,
I'd rather have 19 books than 3-8 new ones.  (If I go to the Deseret
Industries thrift store, it's even cheaper--50 to 75 cents for paperbacks
and up to $5 for hardbacks, and some of the books are in the sort of
condition that, if I were unethical and evil, I could take them to a
bookstore and exchange them for full cover price credit.  Good thing I'm not
unethical and evil.)

2200 books in the database and counting.  The kids like me to filter the
list to show only their books, the greedy little monsters.  They have been
well trained.

Melissa Proffitt