Fantasy starter pack

Tanaqui Weaver cen at caption.org
Fri Aug 20 00:47:28 EDT 2004

Why not _Perdido Street Station_ by British author China Mie'ville (that's
not an apostrophe but a wandering accent acute, guv.)? I know that a couple
of listmembers don't like it, but I wallowed in the lavish prose. It's got
politics and a dreamshit drug and a city which looks to be mapped on London
(same shape rivers) but which is pretty unlike it... especially in its races
and surrounding terrain.

I didn't like the rather stark next book _The Scar_.

Soon, the local library will have the _Iron Council_ (it's already in the
electronic catalogue as "on order").