Idiosyncratic Reaction to Merlin Conspiracy

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 19 20:42:28 EDT 2004

I wrote
<Now, there are Toby, Grundo and Nick
(who
> is a bit old to be a boy) and Joel and Japeth
but
> every time I read it I think there is another
> one, or there should be or something, and I
have
> to keep counting, the Prayermaster's two, Toby
> Nick, Grundo, to be sure I haven't missed one.

And Ika replied
<There *is* another boy, isn't there? The Magid's

son, who goes on hte
mission to get the salamanders, what's his
name...

<wanders into bathroom to check>

Oh no, that's Toby (I wonder who I thought Toby
was?). How odd. Clearly I
feel like there is a missing boy, too. Mystical
Mathematics of Males in
the Merlin Conspiracy... I feel a call for papers

coming on <g>

I'm reminded of the story that one shouldn't
count the devils on stage in marlowe's Faust for
fear of coming up with an extra one -- a real
one. I don't think it's quite as sinister in TMC.

=====
Ven

=====
Ven