Wilkins' Tooth jacket

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Aug 19 16:44:23 EDT 2004

Charlie posted:

>Diana Wynne Jones writes: "I was brought up in the country. Like Frank and
>Jess, I was often hard up. OWN BACK LTD. was, in fact, one of my own schemes
>for making money. My only successful venture, however, was to give a Garden
>Fete almost single-handed at the age of 9. The proceeds were to go to a
>'charity' made up of myself and my sisters. To our chagrin, our parents
>discovered the scheme as soon as a queue of children began to form outside
>the garden gate. It was then too late to stop the Fete, but we were made to
>send our takings to the Red Cross - which we did with the greatest
>reluctance: they amounted to nearly £3.
>    "I am now married to an Oxford don and have three sons, who carry on the
>tradition. I met one the other day in a broom cupboard, sitting very still
>in order to supplement his income by catching mice to sell. This scheme too
>was a failure."

Two things spring to mind.  One is that for a fete to raise that much money
in 1943 it must have been a *brilliant* event, and DWJ a genius even then.
The other is that I'm sure which son it *wasn't* who tried that: remember
how Simon in *Deep Secret* spends his time roaming about and fiddling?  Not
the son he's modelled on!

Minnow