Wilkins' Tooth jacket

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Thu Aug 19 12:56:16 EDT 2004

For boring reasons of my own I just got hold (temporarily) of a first UK
edition of Wilkins' Tooth. The author bio on the inside of the jacket had
some information I'd never seen before, though others no doubt have - but I
thought it was worth putting up:

Diana Wynne Jones writes: "I was brought up in the country. Like Frank and
Jess, I was often hard up. OWN BACK LTD. was, in fact, one of my own schemes
for making money. My only successful venture, however, was to give a Garden
Fete almost single-handed at the age of 9. The proceeds were to go to a
'charity' made up of myself and my sisters. To our chagrin, our parents
discovered the scheme as soon as a queue of children began to form outside
the garden gate. It was then too late to stop the Fete, but we were made to
send our takings to the Red Cross - which we did with the greatest
reluctance: they amounted to nearly £3.
    "I am now married to an Oxford don and have three sons, who carry on the
tradition. I met one the other day in a broom cupboard, sitting very still
in order to supplement his income by catching mice to sell. This scheme too
was a failure."

Charlie