Onions (was Re: DWJ birthday card(s))

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Thu Aug 19 12:44:35 EDT 2004

Ika:

I think it stuck in my mind
> because I had an image of him eating it like an apple, and I was thinking
> "But why does he have an *onion* in the boat?" So maybe he was Dutch. I
> think we should be told.

I think Odysseus probably would have eaten it that way: it seems to have
been the ancient-world thing to do. At any rate, I have a vivid memory of
seeing a bas-relief in the British museum of some Assyrian king - let us
call him Tiglath-Pileser III - sitting in a garden with his queen, with one
of his enemies' heads hanging from a nearby branch, and a servant bringing
him a platter on which rested - no, not another head, but a scrummy raw
onion.

All it needed was the Pym's.

Charlie