Onions (was Re: DWJ birthday card(s))

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Aug 19 08:27:22 EDT 2004

Jennifer kindly answered my anxious

>> DWJ shot me down in flames by claiming that
>> onions don't have vitimins.
><googles> They don't seem to have a very high vitamin content- low levels
>of E and some of the Bs. They do have quite good amounts of vit C,
>although of course if you cook them that's mostly destroyed. They have
>some folic acid, calcium and potassium, also antioxidants and flavonoids
>and other beneficial phytochemicals. (They may also have some of the
>microbe-killing properties that garlic has). Levels of everything vary
>between kinds of onions and how long they have been stored; your best bet
>is probably to eat spring onions,* raw (both the green and white parts).
>As long as you don't do it in the street and frighten the horses with your
>breath.
>*Scallions, I think, for USians.

Phew!  Thank you for this: I now know where I stand in the matter of
healthy onion-eating.  The only horses we ever seem to get round here are
on their way to the local police station with policemen (and policewomen)
riding them and looking superior and benign as only mounted policemen (and
policewomen) seem able to do, and police horses are probably trained to be
impervious to onion-breathing pedestrians, so I can chomp on the raw spring
onions without let or hindrance if I want to avoid scurvy.

One thing I *do* know about onions is that pickling them in large
quantities completely stomps on a head-cold: by the time you have peeled
and topped-and-tailed about thirty pounds of small onions, there is nothing
left in your sinuses to have a cold *with*.  Drastic but effective.

Minnow