Onions (was Re: DWJ birthday card(s))

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Aug 19 08:27:21 EDT 2004

Ika speculated:

>I have a memory of Odysseus (in the Odyssey) eating a (presumably raw)
>onion in a boat, possibly after a shipwreck, which keeps jumping up and
>down and tugging at the sleeve of my brain.* I think it stuck in my mind
>because I had an image of him eating it like an apple, and I was thinking
>"But why does he have an *onion* in the boat?" So maybe he was Dutch. I
>think we should be told.

Maybe the Dutch are descended from him, like the Romans being descended
from Aeneas or the British from Brutus (no, not *that* Brutus, another one)
or the French from I forget which classical hero?  That would explain not
quite everything but a lot.

>*The memory, not the shipwreck (or the onion, come to that)

I like the idea of an onion jumping up and down and tugging at the sleeve
of your brain.  In the section labelled "produce", rather than the section
labelled "shirts", presumably.

Minnow