Onions (was Re: DWJ birthday card(s))

Ika blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Thu Aug 19 07:39:22 EDT 2004

Minnow, then Jennifer:

>> That was what I said, and DWJ shot me down in flames by claiming that
>> onions don't have vitimins.
>
> <googles> They don't seem to have a very high vitamin content- low levels
> of E and some of the Bs. They do have quite good amounts of vit C,
> although of course if you cook them that's mostly destroyed.

I have a memory of Odysseus (in the Odyssey) eating a (presumably raw)
onion in a boat, possibly after a shipwreck, which keeps jumping up and
down and tugging at the sleeve of my brain.* I think it stuck in my mind
because I had an image of him eating it like an apple, and I was thinking
"But why does he have an *onion* in the boat?" So maybe he was Dutch. I
think we should be told.

Love, Ika

*The memory, not the shipwreck (or the onion, come to that)

--
'Has Mother Earth become humanity's phantom limb?'
- Paul Virilio