Onions (was Re: DWJ birthday card(s))

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Aug 19 07:29:44 EDT 2004

> That was what I said, and DWJ shot me down in flames by claiming that
> onions don't have vitimins.

<googles> They don't seem to have a very high vitamin content- low levels of E and some of the Bs. They do have quite good amounts of vit C, although of course if you cook them that's mostly destroyed. They have some folic acid, calcium and potassium, also antioxidants and flavonoids and other beneficial phytochemicals. (They may also have some of the microbe-killing properties that garlic has). Levels of everything vary between kinds of onions and how long they have been stored; your best bet is probably to eat spring onions,* raw (both the green and white parts). As long as you don't do it in the street and frighten the horses with your breath.

*Scallions, I think, for USians.

Jennifer