Onions (was Re: DWJ birthday card(s))

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Aug 19 06:59:46 EDT 2004

Bettina wrote:

>Minnow asked:
>> Can some Dutch member of the list explain *why* one should never go to sea
>> in a boat without an onion, and whether it means a boat without an onion
>> or oneself without one?

>I'm not Dutch, and I've never heard that saying - but, having just immensly
>enjoyed my first Patrick O'Brian book, I'd like to quote Dr. Maturin,
>concerning breakfast at sea: "Oh yes, fried bacon would be nice, and some
>fried onions, too, to prevent scurvy." (Retranslated from memory)

That was what I said, and DWJ shot me down in flames by claiming that
onions don't have vitimins.

I have to admit that I find this hard to credit, and suspect her of being
frivolous, possibly along the lines that something that palatable can't
possibly be good for you as well.  I hope so: some days onion is almost the
only veg. I eat.  Can anyone reassure me about that?

>But I'm seriously curious now...

So was I!  So I am still...

Minnow