my kidlit course

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Aug 19 06:57:02 EDT 2004

>  I am still looking for recommended readings for 3 themes: school, monsters
> (and other halloweeny things like ghosts and witches) and fantastic animals. I > would love any suggestions you might have for picture books or novels for
> younger children. Witch Week is, of course, a set book.

Are any of Eva Ibbotson's books for younger children? Her monsters are wonderful- really yucky but often friendly. Picture books- Meg and Mog, about at witch and her cat. The same author, Jan Pienkowski, has a pop-up book called Haunted House which is great. Funnybones, by the Ahlbergs, is about a family of skeletons.
I expect you already have The Worst Witch on your list.
Jennifer