DWJ birthday card(s)

liril at gmx.net liril at gmx.net
Thu Aug 19 05:23:37 EDT 2004

Minnow asked:
> Can some Dutch member of the list explain *why* one should never go to sea
> in a boat without an onion, and whether it means a boat without an onion
> or
> oneself without one?

I'm not Dutch, and I've never heard that saying - but, having just immensly
enjoyed my first Patrick O'Brian book, I'd like to quote Dr. Maturin,
concerning breakfast at sea: "Oh yes, fried bacon would be nice, and some
fried onions, too, to prevent scurvy." (Retranslated from memory)
But I'm seriously curious now...

Bettina