Jasper Fforde

Thu Aug 19 04:24:04 EDT 2004

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:33:55 +1000, Emma Comerford wrote:

>Quoting Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at Proffitt.com>:

>> I actually read _Something Rotten_ this weekend, by the way, and loved it.
>> I think Landen Parke-Laine gets my vote for Fictional Character I Would Most
>> Like To Be Married To, aside from all the eradication business.  (Jacob just
>> rolled his eyes when I said this and went off to get his leg hacked off at
>> the knee.  Okay, not.)  The ending was sad and quite moving, and if this is
>> the end of the series, it's a good natural ending.
>> Melissa Proffitt
>>
>I would be very jealous of you ("Something Rotten" isn't out here yet) except for the fact the Jasper will be
>in Brisbane next month giving a talk at my favourite bookshop, so I can bear the wait. And apparently the
>book will be out before he arrives, so that's OK. For other Aussies, he's going to other cities as well, details
>on his website www.jasperfforde.com

That is so lucky for you.  I rarely get to see authors in person; either
their book tours don't take them through Salt Lake, or I don't find out
about it until too late.  Though we are having Anne Perry as the keynote
speaker for our writers conference in October.  Pity I'm not a fan, eh?

>Although I must admit I'm intrigued by your description, Melissa, and worried...sad? I don't want it to be
>sad!

I don't think it will be sad for everyone.  It was actually a very good
ending.  It's just a kind of ending that generally makes me feel sad...my
own idiosyncratic reaction, I think.  What makes it especially moving
is--let's see if I can explain this without discussing particulars--that the
characters don't just experience the events of the final scene; they also
consider what it means, and it gives those events greater significance.
There's something Thursday's father has said before that she suddenly
understands because of this ending, but I can't quote it without giving
things away.  Anyway.  There you go.

Melissa Proffitt