my kidlit course

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 18 20:17:14 EDT 2004

--- Robyn Starkey <rohina at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Just wanted to say another big thank you to everyone
> who helped me with
> things for my Literature for Young Children Course.
> I have the Course
> Outline finished for anyone who wants to see it.
>
> I also have one more request for brainstorming. I
> have a number of theme
> discussion days, where we have set readings, but I
> am also giving
> recommended readings. I am still looking for
> recommended readings for 3
> themes: school, monsters (and other halloweeny
> things like ghosts and
> witches) and fantastic animals. I would love any
> suggestions you might have
> for picture books or novels for younger children.
> Witch Week is, of course,
> a set book.

Sendak's Where the wild things are is perfect as a
picture book for monsters, some of his others may fit
in as well. Winnie the Pooh for fantastic animals. or
as a picture book Grahame Base's Animalia and Sign of
the Seahorse (although all of these books deal with
real animals - does that count), another fantasic
animal book also by Base that is great, and was
mentioned here only a little while ago is Truckdogs
although I'm not sure if that is available outside Oz.
The other children's fantasy classics - the Hobbit,
Narnia, the Moomin books etc?

Jon