my kidlit course

Elizabeth Evans er.evans at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Aug 18 17:39:38 EDT 2004

Robyn said:
. . .
I also have one more request for brainstorming. I have a number of theme
discussion days, where we have set readings, but I am also giving
recommended readings. I am still looking for recommended readings for 3
themes: school, monsters (and other halloweeny things like ghosts and
witches) and fantastic animals. I would love any suggestions you might have
for picture books or novels for younger children. Witch Week is, of course,
a set book.

Hello Robyn
One of my favourite fantastic animals books has to be 'The forgotten Beasts
of Eld' by Patricia McKillip, but I'm afraid it will be out of your age
range.
'May I Bring a Friend? ' by Beatrice Schenk De Regniers, Beni Montresor is a
charming picture book, but the animals are not really fantastic, though one
doesn't often bring wild animals to afternoon tea, so the setting is
fantastic.

I look forward to seeing what others suggest.

Regards
Elizabeth.