The Goon in Edinburgh

Elanor Buchanan el.buchanan at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 18 16:41:38 EDT 2004

I saw it last night and I have to say I agree with the review. When the Goon revealed himself as Erskine he became a very camp Scot which is not AT ALL how I imagine him.

I will say that all the cast, particularly the boy playing Torquil, seemed to be really enjoying themselves and overall I quite enjoyed the show. Though if I hadn't known the story well already I think it would have been very hard to follow.

Seeing DWJ herself at last year's Book Festival was much better.

Has anyone else seen it?

Elanor

Charles Butler <hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:
For anyone who'd been lamenting not being able to get to the Fringe to see
the production of *Archer's Goon* that's on at the Festival just now, this
review from the Scotsman may reconcile you:

"STILTED and distinctly under-rehearsed adaptation of Diana Wynne-Jones's
excellent novel about writer's block, wizards and words. Hammy amateur
actors step all over each other's lines, scene changes are unnecessarily
laboured and the complicated plot is dragged out for an endless 100 minutes.
Less than magic."

Has anyone seen it, by the way?

Charlie