DWJ birthday card(s)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Aug 18 12:14:15 EDT 2004

Charlie delivered the goods:

>Just to say thanks to everyone who sent birthday cards to DWJ. She was
>pleased and touched, and even (I think) rather taken aback.

She is now *grinning* about it and showing the collection to anyone who
comes into the house.  I think that she has been made happy.  Well done
that List!

She is also making Gnomic Remarks such as "Never go to sea in a boat
without an onion", which I gather come from a book of Obscure Proverbs From
Around The World With especial Obscurity From Bulgaria provided by Charlie,
so it's all his fault.

Can some Dutch member of the list explain *why* one should never go to sea
in a boat without an onion, and whether it means a boat without an onion or
oneself without one?

Minnow