Conrad's Fate

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Fri Aug 6 13:31:45 EDT 2004

Ika said...

> I don't
> suppose anyone can recommend somewhere to stay in a suitably
> children's-literature part of Wales? With mountains, sea, and a fair
> chance of running into a supernatural entity? Otherwise I'll have to go to
> Cornwall and re-enact _Over Sea, Under Stone_, which sounds rather too
> strenuous for my liking.)

Hey, think of the rest of that series!  I learned how to pronounce Welsh
from "The Grey King", which is still one of my favourites of the set.  It's
North Wales, IIRC - and having gone along the NW coast on the train from
Holyhead, I can say for sure that it's an absolutely *beautiful* land.
Plenty mountains, plenty sea, and it certainly *feels* like you could find
supernatural beings there.

And...ObDWJ...a bit of "The Merlin Conspiracy" is set in Wales too, though
I'm not at all sure which bit.

Dorian.