Conrad's Fate

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Fri Aug 6 13:43:14 EDT 2004

Ika:

I don't
> suppose anyone can recommend somewhere to stay in a suitably
> children's-literature part of Wales? With mountains, sea, and a fair
> chance of running into a supernatural entity? Otherwise I'll have to go to
> Cornwall and re-enact _Over Sea, Under Stone_, which sounds rather too
> strenuous for my liking.)

Oddly enough I've just come back from Cornwall, having done just that!
You'll find a few pictures of Trewissick (aka Mevagissey) on the photo album
in my website (www.charlesbutler.co.uk - go to the People To Meet page to
find the link).

If you're going to Wales, why not try Aberdyfi and environs, for the Grey
King/ Silver on the Tree? There's the Lost Cantref (for sea), Cader Idris
(for mountains), and the Bearded Lake with en-suite Afanc? It's not that far
from Owl Service territory either: the Llanymawddwy valley is the place,
Bryn Hall the house.

Or, my sister-in-law has just bought a house in Borth, which is perhaps the
most unlikely place for a supernatural encounter on God's earth, but still
features as the setting of Nancy Bond's *A String in the Harp* - I'm sending
her a copy as a housewarming present.

Happy hols,

Charlie