Lenina

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Thu Aug 5 12:25:38 EDT 2004

> Part of my original point was about Lenina's behaviour. I think she
> willfully ignores the children's concerns and reactions; on the other hand, they
> don't go to her or confront her with their fears. Because she is doing what she
> wants to, she justifies it to herself by saying it will be better for them.
> She doesn't want to hear any counter arguments.

She was also attempting to avert further bad luck. That's in a footnote on
the culture of the Dales in the Quartet edition. (I prefer the original edition,
myself. I had over 20 years to get used to it.) There were a number of
changes in the text when the book was reissued as a part of a quartet.

Evidently the people of the Dales really believe in Luck. And if something
horrible happens the only way to prevent further horrible things from happening
is to do something extremely "fortunate" before that day is over, in order to
cancel it out.

Ganner knew what was in the wind. After some 20 years of leaving her strictly
alone, he made a point of searching out Lenina and giving her the message
that her proper place was being kept open for her, against the need. And he right
under Clennan's nose. I don't think that Lenina was as surprised by the
attack as the kids were. She may have warned Clennan (as was her duty). But she may
not have needed to. Clennan was clever, even if insensitive, He recognized
Ganner when he spoke to Lenina, and would also have gotten the message. He
didn't seem all that surprised by the attack either, did he?   He had played a
dangerous game for years and could hardly be unaware that his luck would one day
run out. I think that they both knew that the attack was comming. (I'm going to
have to reread the book and see whether there was a systematic attempt to
send the kids away from the cart as much as possible once Ganner showed up. I do
recall that Moril, and I think the Earl's son, were away in the forest when
the attack finally came.)

Which also tells us something about Ganner. He's a quiet man, but he isn't
the nonentity he appears. He had also acted on the cwidder's prompting when it
had overlaid "the world acording to Clennan" on the whole company, and he was
no more willing to go back on his word -- as given under its influence -- than
Lenina was. He had the power to send hearthmen out after the singer who had
stolen his betrothed. He didn't do it. It was only when it was clear from his
overlord's council that Clennan was to be murdered for his other activities that
he sought Lenina out to pass her the word and, effectively, to offer his
services.