Dalemark Quartet

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Thu Aug 5 11:43:45 EDT 2004

> As far as one can tell from the recounting of the event, the first thing
> she ever said to Clennen was "yes" in acceptance of his demand that she walk
> out on her family for the sake of a total stranger.

I think you're all selling the cwidder short here. If it can move mountains,
it can certainly move hearts. Unlike the mountains, however, the hearts don't
necessarily have to stay moved. Clennan didn't just serenade Lenina and
convince *her* to run away with him. The cwidder also convinced Ganner and her
family to *let her go*.

I suspect that once Clennan developed his sudden crush on Lenina and sang it
out to the multitudes, everyone in earshot was effectively inside a
reality-distortion field. And what's more, it probably lasted long enough for Clernnan
and Lenina to marry (possibly right there in her former suitor's hall), make
their departure and get far enough away that the Earl did not bother to persue
her and bring her back. I'd say it probably lasted at least a couple of weeks
to a month, fading slowly over that time.

Clennan was an insensitive clot to gloat about it in front of her. But, being
an insensitive clot, he never realized, for all his cleverness, that she
didn't feel the same way about him that he did about her. He really did love her,
in his fashion. And he certainly valued her. She and the cwidder were the only
thing that connected him to his famous ancestor -- who he clearly venerated
-- and the age of miracles. She was his own personal miracle. And his --
literally -- throphy wife.