Conrad's Fate

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Aug 5 06:47:54 EDT 2004

Aimee Smith wrote:
>Some random blog I just read quoted Neil Gaiman's blog, where he said he'd
>just read DWJ's new Chrestomanci book Conrad's Fate!!!!
>Is it really out yet, or does he get preference, I wonder?

He squeaks excitedly at her on the phone from America at Vast Expense
until she sends him a copy so he can tell her it's Triffic and then
gloat at all his friends that he got to read the new DWJ before anyone
else did.

(Which he's wrong about anyway 'cos I read it months ago. Sorry, Ven:
hate me too.)

He sends her his books at second draft stage so that she can tell him if
he has got something wrong and then he can change it.  She had input on
*American Gods* that way; there were a couple of things she felt very
strongly he shouldn't put in, and he took them out.  He respects her
judgement. So it does seem fair that he gets to read her books early,
in exchange.

*Conrad's Fate* isn't out yet, no.  Someone else already posted the
official publication date.  I can't think why this one is taking so very
long to move through the system; it does seem to be a bigger gap between
completed writing and finished book even than usual.

Minnow