DWJ's Horn Book article

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Aug 4 15:56:30 EDT 2004

> Have more of us read it now? I found the article fascinating, but I should
> add that it resembled very closely Dorian's account of the speech DWJ made
> in Dublin. At any rate, it prompted me to go off and re-read "Carol Oneir's
> Hundredth Dream," which was a treat.

Interesting. I just got to the part where she says "a writer is not
allowed to put the same person in more than one book" and I immediately
thought of Georgette Heyer, whose books I love but who definitely does
use the same person multiple times. There is, of course the Eddingses,
but they get away with it by calling 'em archetypes.

Then of course I went haring off into the distance in pursuit of Granny
Carry, aka Tenarel Ka'Riatha, who is the archetype of crotchety old
protector, from the Liavek books, and learned that the people who post
on Amazon didn't like those... but then they liked Thieves World so that
says everything. :)

(How I got to Liavek from Diana Wynne Jones, I'm not sure, though I was
reading _Sourcery and Cecelia_ yesterday) It may be because to me Granny
Carry was the image of a 'mental voice' in my life, and so I siezed upon
her with great enthusiasm.

Anyway, getting back to the article, I find it amusing that I don't
actually follow DWJ's explanations of the connections between different
characters in her books that she claims. For instance, I can see that
Derk and Mr. Sykes are very similar, but then Derk and Howard are too.
And I see shadows of the Sempitern in Roddy's grandfather.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I don't want to claim that God is on our side. As Abraham Lincoln told
us, I want to pray humbly that we are on God's side." - John Kerry