Fwd: desert island question

Anna Clare McDuff amcduff at math.sunysb.edu
Fri Apr 30 08:59:11 EDT 2004

Hallie wrote:

> > Thinking of younger books, I'd definitely include the Finn Family
> > Moomintroll, which I loved, my kids loved, etc, etc.

	Oh, yes, Moomintrolls! AS I mentioned earlier I love the Moomins
and I think one of the novels would be a really interesting addition to
the course.  The question for me is, which one? As an adult, my favourite
by far is Moominvalley In November, but I'm not sure it really counts as a
children's book. I always think of it more as a book for adults written
within the children's genre, Jansson working through her mother's death.
I'm not sure I would ever give it to a child to read unless that child
really loved deeply disturbing, desolate books & I thought it would lead
to no harm. As a child though, my firm favourite was Moominsummer Madness
& that might be a good addition to the course, as what drew me to it were
all the elements of misrule & anarchy which are always fun to discuss:
fishing for breakfast through the floor, making home in an abandoned
floating theatre, Snufkin having to be a responsible adult for once...

	Anna, coming to an understanding of why Lewis Carroll wrote her...