Bits and bobs, only some OT

Tue Apr 27 23:33:26 EDT 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:26:48 +0100, Roger Burton West wrote:

>On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 12:16:01PM -0600, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>
>>The Engines of God
>>Deepsix
>>Chindi
>>Omega
>
>Um, what about Slow Lightning / Infinity Beach? (I'd guess it comes
>between the first two, since that's the publication order.)
>
>In any case, I haven't yet read the latter two. Oh, my. <grin>

_Infinity Beach_ isn't in that series.  It's set in a different "universe,"
even--no alien civilizations have been discovered, for one thing, as opposed
to the scenario presented in _The Engines of God_, where there are a number
of pretechnological races and traces of others long dead.  McDevitt uses the
same technology in both, and human civilization has developed along similar
lines, but the two diverge when it comes to the results of space
exploration.  Since _Infinity Beach_ is mostly about the implications of
first contact, I wonder if he didn't create a different milieu of
humans-only to heighten that effect.

That was the first Jack McDevitt book I ever read, by the way.  One of the
Nebula nominees we read in the reading group.  I've finished _Sethra Lavode_
and I promised Jacob he could have the new Neal Stephenson first, so maybe
I'll read it again now.

Now, Roger, be a good boy and go read _Chindi_.  :)

Melissa Proffitt