desert island question

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Wed Apr 28 06:50:47 EDT 2004

Every once in a while the list seems to cycle back to topics I'm sure we've
discussed before... so in the category of wonderful fantasy books for very
very young readers I'd like to re-nominate Ursula Moray Williams for
"Gobbolino the Witch's Cat"  (I have yet to find a copy of "Bogwoppit",
which I'm dying to reread), and Phyllis Arckle for "Magic at Midnight". "My
Father's Dragon" is also worth a mention. As for non-fantasy, some of Laura
Ingalls Wilder's books are particularly suited for very young readers too,
for instance, "The Long Winter". And Judy Blume's books for young readers
are worth a read: there's "Freckle Juice" and "The One in the Middle is the
Green Kangaroo" (almost a picture book), and for slightly older readers,
"Superfudge" and "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing". And don't forget the
Ramona books by Beverly Cleary.