desert island question

Judith Ridge Judith.Ridge at det.nsw.edu.au
Tue Apr 27 19:43:38 EDT 2004

On 28/4/04 9:14 AM, "Jon Noble" <jon_p_noble at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Just a brief welcome back to the list from the member
> closest to you geographically. I'm about 100km north
> of you at Toronto on Lake Macquarie.
>
> Jon

Well, there you go, I was actually born in Toronto!

Thanks to Jon, Sally and everyone who sent welcomes to me re-joining the
list. I haven't got back to addressing Robyn's request about early childhood
books, but I hope to throw a few ideas in the mix.

I'd have to say a big yes to anything age-appropriate by Margaret Mahy (who
I am about to interview for the second time, although about ten years
between...) especially The Great Piratical Rumbustification, The
Three-Legged Cat and The Great White Man Eating Shark. She also has
collections of short stories that might be useful.

One of my favourite picture book people is Bob Graham; try "Let's Get a Pup"
(Walker) or "Jethro Byrd, Fairy Child" (also Walker). And Margaret Wild, who
is in my opinion one of Australia's best picture book authors, if not the
best (and most versatile). She has been focusing on early childhood titles
of late; try Babs the Baby and Fog the Dog (ill. Donna Rawlins, Working
Title Press), Piglet and Mama (ill. Stephen Michael King, Working Title
Press), Little Humpty (ill. Ann James, Little Hare), Baby Boomsticks (ill.
David Legge, ABC Books) ‹ all excellent for this age group.

Excellent books in the early readers area which have been hugely successful
in Australia are the Tashi books by Anna and Barbara Fienberg, illustrated
by Kim Gamble. There are two stories in each book; Tashi is a little person
who runs into extraordinary adventures up against all sorts of creatures
from mythology and fantasy; giants, ghosts, genies, demons... Published by
Allen and Unwin, the 11th book in the series is about to be published, which
gives you an idea how successful they have been.

Cheers to all,

Judith