desert island question

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Tue Apr 27 17:31:40 EDT 2004

Charles suggested:
>Sticking more or less to fantasy and short (32 page or so) books or less...
>
>John Burningham, *Mr Gumpy's Outing* (which has the added benefit that
>there's an excellent analysis of it in, I think, Peter Hunt's *Introduction
>to Children's Literature*); Philippa Pearce, *Emily's Own Elephant* (more
>wish fulfilment than fantasy, perhaps); Dr Seuss, *Horton Hears a Who*;
>Russell Hoban, *How Tom Beat Captain Nojak and his Hired Sportsmen*;

Captain Najork. One of my favorites, right up there with Mahy's The
Librarian and the Robbers.

>Quentin
>Blake, *Patrick*;  DWJ's *Yes Dear* might also be a possibility. And if
>you're into empowering effect of farts and so forth, how about a comparison
>of William Steig, *Shrek* with Raymond Briggs, *Fungus the Bogeyman*? There
>are an awful lot of tough princesses out there, too: Martin Waddell's *The
>Tough Princess* might go a few rounds with Babette Cole's equally liberated
>*Princess Smartypants*.

In the same vein, sort of: Sleeping Ugly by Jane Yolen. More in the
sense of knowing subversions of classic fairy tales ("Dad, that's NOT
how it goes!..."), many of which use real-people princesses as foils
to pretty-princess conventions. Might be interest to take some of the
younger-kids examples against similarly-intended modern fairy-tale
retellings for adults (more graphic, even more knowing, but much the
same general idea)

--
Nat Case
Hedberg Maps, Inc