desert island question

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Tue Apr 27 17:17:34 EDT 2004

Sticking more or less to fantasy and short (32 page or so) books or less...

John Burningham, *Mr Gumpy's Outing* (which has the added benefit that
there's an excellent analysis of it in, I think, Peter Hunt's *Introduction
to Children's Literature*); Philippa Pearce, *Emily's Own Elephant* (more
wish fulfilment than fantasy, perhaps); Dr Seuss, *Horton Hears a Who*;
Russell Hoban, *How Tom Beat Captain Nojak and his Hired Sportsmen*; Quentin
Blake, *Patrick*;  DWJ's *Yes Dear* might also be a possibility. And if
you're into empowering effect of farts and so forth, how about a comparison
of William Steig, *Shrek* with Raymond Briggs, *Fungus the Bogeyman*? There
are an awful lot of tough princesses out there, too: Martin Waddell's *The
Tough Princess* might go a few rounds with Babette Cole's equally liberated
*Princess Smartypants*.

By the way, Robyn, what's the title of this thread refer to? Is it Desert
Island Discs? I hadn't realised that was known outside the UK.