Bits and bobs, only some OT

Tue Apr 27 14:16:01 EDT 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:31:16 +0100, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

>I think it was Melissa and Robyn who mentioned _Chindi_ favourably a
>while ago.  I saw it on Bookcloseouts, and grabbed it, but afterwards
>saw that it seemed to be part of a sort of series.  Could you tell me
>how seriously series-ish it is, and whether it's ok to read _Chindi_
>without having read previous books?

There are four books in the series, and while they stand alone in some ways,
they also contain spoilers.  That would be my only reason for suggesting you
read them in order.  For example, _The Engines of God_ (the first book)
presents the mystery of the Monument-Makers and the strange destruction of
several ancient interstellar civilizations by an unknown force.  The later
books refer back to the events in this one after the mystery has been mostly
solved, so it's less gripping if you have read the later books first.  (This
is what I did, by accident, so I know that it's not a big deal.)

The series order is:

The Engines of God
Deepsix
Chindi
Omega

Even if you know what's coming, they're still very exciting on their own.  I
think reading _Omega_ first would probably be a bad idea, or at the very
least make the alien threat in the other books seem less scary, since it
reveals the full truth about the one mystery that holds the series together.
_Chindi_ has some great nail-biting action*, beautiful alien civilizations,
interstellar archaeology, and a chase scene at appreciable fractions of the
speed of light.  And a love story.  You can read it all by itself without
any trouble, but doing so will change your experience of the earlier books.
That's all.

Melissa Proffitt

*Action that makes you bite your nails in excitement.  Not action featuring
nail-biting.  Just thought I'd clarify that.