The Magic City (was Re: desert island question)

Mon Apr 26 12:40:19 EDT 2004

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 20:19:39 +0100, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

>E. Nesbit.  My personal favourite is "The Magic City", but that seems to be
>impossible to get hold of these days.

It's been published a couple of times in the last ten years; the problem is
that the publishers are all smaller houses and distribution seems spotty.
My copy is a white trade paperback with one of the Millar illustrations
(Noah's Ark) as the cover and was published by Books of Wonder in 1996.  I
saw the hardcover version of this one two weeks ago in a used bookstore.  I
can't recommend this edition highly because there are SO many typos
throughout.

The more recent edition is by SeaStar Books, also in trade and HB, and has a
Paul Zelinsky cover.  Amazon.com has that for sale.

Despite my later dissatisfaction, I about fell over when I saw the book at
Powell's way back when.  I had just about given up on ever finding it.  It
was the first E. Nesbit book I ever read to my kids.

Melissa Proffitt