desert island question

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Mon Apr 26 11:21:04 EDT 2004

Looks to me like the class structure ideas so far include getting an
historical overview, and compare-and-contrast over time. I'd wonder
about exploring what makes children's books appealing to children (as
opposed to what makes them appealing to adults). Children are less
likely (based on my own memory) to be worried about whether a book is
"well-written" in the way adults are, and more on whether the flow of
the story hits their particular buttons. A different kind of
"well-written", perhaps.

So I'd look at (maybe) a few horse books: Black Beauty, Black
Stallion (Walter Farley's Book vs the movie is also really
interesting), Misty of Chincoteague (and there's a great passage in
Bruce Brooks's Midnight Hour Encores where the dad takes his
horse-infatuated daughter out to Chincoteague to see what a REAL
horse herd is like), and look at what is (or has been appealing) to
kids about those.

Or look at Encyclopedia Brown, Hardy Boys, Alfred Hitchcock and the
Three investigators, and whatever kids detective fiction is flying
off the shelves these days.

Or.... what would be a similar range in kids fantasy? I think of
fantasy as beginning somewhat older, and it merging into something
all its own in the younger-reader category, sort of a cross between
fantasy and fairy tale. Maybe Narnia, a younger Margaret Mahy (maybe
one of her picture books), a younger Roald Dahl (The Magic Finger
creeped me out as a child, I recall), all or part of an E Nesbit
fantasy (Five Children and It, for instance), and some Grimm or
Perrault for pre-"children's literature" context, some Sendak (Where
the Wild Thins Are seems pretty de rigeur, I'd think).

Nat "Buttinsky" Case