desert island question

Allison Marles apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Sun Apr 25 18:11:10 EDT 2004

On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 06:47:17PM +0100, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

> So I'd say that the books have a superficial similarity, but have far more
> differences.  Both are, of course, extremely good books, but I, at least,
> don't see them as good candidates for a comparison exercise.

I haven't ever read the other so I wasn't sure if it would fit.

Thinking of other children's book that would be good to cover ...
I came up with a bunch that I enjoyed, Some of these are maybe
"too old", but many children read well ahead of their "level".
 o Kim by Rudyard Kipling
   - this is a classic, but probably more appropriate to be
     read /to/ a young child than read /by/
 o False Face by Welwyn Wilton Katz
   - has some scary bits, but deals with the issue of children
     whose parents have divorced
 o Tom's Midnight Garden by Phillipa Pearce
 o The Changeling Sea by Patricia A. McKillip
   - this has a very fairy-tale feel to it
 o The Changeover by Margaret Mahy
 o The Balloon Tree by Phoebe Gilman (picture book)
 o The Forbidden Door by Marilee Heyer (picture book)
 o The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder
   - has some scary bits again, but I loved it as a kid, both
     because of the importance of imagination and because I
     was interested in Egypt
 o The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgsen Burnett
 o The War with Mr. Wizzle by Gordon Korman
 o I Want to Go Home by Gordon Korman
   - a camp story, probably one of the funniest books I've
     ever read
 o No Coins Please by Gordon Korman
 o Power of Three, need I list the author ? :)

Allison

--
I'm too young to buy a lifetime supply of Ovaltine.