Britocentric fantasy

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 14 16:41:59 EDT 2004

--- "Rowland, Jennifer A B"
<jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
> Jon wrote:
> > Australians of my generation were brought up
> thinking
> > that saving the world was what God had created the
> > British for
>
> On the grounds that the Poms must be good for
> *something*?

No, Children in far-off colonial outposts in the '50s
and early '60s were brought up as some sort of
Hyper-British, in those days people who were several
generations Australian still called Britain home. Our
school text books were very British-oriented, and the
default religion was Church of England. I know to me
that after growing up on Blyton, WE Johns and Kipling,
Susan Cooper's books seemed quite normal.

Jon