Cooper

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Apr 14 09:22:54 EDT 2004

Charlie quoted:
> from the *The Lion and the Unicorn* in
> the late 1990s:

> These international touches have an unsettling imperialist
> edge. The Lords of the Light-Merriman, The Lady, Bran,
> Arthur-are invariably English, and the circles of the Old
> Ones reports back to England as if they were colonial
> governors reporting to the home office.

So presumably the difference between this and, say, Pullman, is that Pullman writes a story about English protagonists but there isn't this edge about the rest of the world being subordinates.
I can't think of many other books that do have this sort of assumption, although I think Narnia might qualify. Not on account of the children being English, but because of (bother, what's it called) the empire of the Tash-worshippers. It's a bit too nasty and not real enough- unlike Kipling's India and Indians, which are based on actually being there, and don't seem condescendingly written to me even though Kipling was a real Imperialist. (I think books written during the actual colonialist period are probably not what the critic was thinking of.)
Jennifer