Cooper

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Tue Apr 13 10:31:18 EDT 2004

I think that the main reason for the judgement that her The Dark is Rising
cycle was an imperialist/colonialist text wasn't because the main action took
place in Britain at all.

I think that was the politically-minded (and that series came out in a highly
politicized period) reviewer's perception of Cooper's "Old Ones" oligarchal
attitudes regarding the common humans they were "protecting". It was a clumsy
description of the problem and a misdiagnosis of what was getting up their
noses. But the underlying problem with those books it's one which I tend to agree
upon. There is a arrogant small-mindedness to those books which has kept me
from reading anything that Cooper has written since. and we've been all through
this before.