Britocentric fantasy

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 13 08:03:27 EDT 2004

--- Katarina Hjärpe <head_overheels at hotmail.com>
wrote:
The only
> fantasy/sci-fi story that ever struck me as
> blatantly Australia-centric was
> The Girl From Tomorrow, where the entire northern
> hemisphere met with a
> disaster... but hey, that could happen. *grin*

That happens in Shute's "On the beach" as well, which
goes one step further and wipes out everything but
melbourne (which led to Ava gardner's famous line
[famous in Sydney anyway] about Melbourne being the
perfect place to make a film about the end of the
world). My late father-in-law actually had Neville
Shute's slide rule - and also a T Square of his which
was warped possibly explaining the R-101.  (actually I
have an idea that Shute worked on the R-100, which
unlike the R101 didn't crash)

Jon
(in case some of the above is a bit obscure - Neville
Shute's autobiography was called Slide Rule, before he
became an author he designed aircraft, including an
airship. the R 101 was a much vaunted British airship
that crashed in France in the early 1930s, but unlike
the Hindenburg it wasn't caught on film and so is now
largely forgotten, even though, unlike the Hindenburg,
there were no survivors)