Britocentric fantasy

Katarina Hjärpe head_overheels at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 13 07:40:03 EDT 2004

> > fantasy set entirely in an
> > colonial/imperialist text,
> > that sprang to my mind.

Independence Day is considered pretty imperialist over here, but it's so
*blatantly* imperialist that it's more funny than anything else.

I think it's a bigger risk with American stories than Australian once, since
American culture is often considered imperialist in itself. The only
fantasy/sci-fi story that ever struck me as blatantly Australia-centric was
The Girl From Tomorrow, where the entire northern hemisphere met with a
disaster... but hey, that could happen. *grin*

Katta