Britocentric fantasy

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 13 07:39:40 EDT 2004

--- minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
> Has anyone complained that some world-saving fantasy
> set entirely in an
> American, or in an Australian, context is a
> colonial/imperialist text,
> and if not, why not, would be another question that
> sprang to my mind.

Is there any world-saving fantasy set in an Aussie
context for anyone to complain about, and if there is
has it ever been published outside Australia? It is so
long since I have read Patricia Wrightson's Wirrin
books that i can't recall if there was anything world
threatening in them, iirc the danger was just in
Australia. Sean McMullen's greatwinter books have the
world saved by an Australian, Highliber Zavora (not
just Australian, but a librarian as well). Nothing
else comes to mind.
It seems to me that most American world-saving fantasy
is set in a secondary world rather than our world,
thus avoiding the problem, a leaving the field to
writers of techno-thrillers and Hollywood scripts.
(but the prototype of the technothriller hero is
probably the very British James Bond)

Jon