Britocentric fantasy

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 12 14:58:57 EDT 2004

>Has anyone complained that some world-saving fantasy set entirely in an
>American, or in an Australian, context is a colonial/imperialist text,
>and if not, why not, would be another question that sprang to my mind.

Well, because America and Australia are not traditionally imperialist
powers, although it is clearly possible to make that argument about the US now.

>Me too.  Why on earth anyone should regard a second-rate has-been
>country as having colonies, or as having an empire, fair baffles me.

Yeah, but where is it you live?

Post-colonial theory really addresses some of the cultural factors which
are the aftermath of imperialism. I think people who live in countries
which were colonies can be quite sensitive to these issues.

Robyn