Britocentric fantasy

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Mon Apr 12 14:05:48 EDT 2004

I wrote:
>>Has anyone complained that some world-saving fantasy set entirely in an
>>American, or in an Australian, context is a colonial/imperialist text,
>>and if not, why not, would be another question that sprang to my mind.

and Roger replied:
>Well, yes - see almost any film in which The World (i.e. America) is
>invaded by aliens and saved by the (American) heroes. Of recent years
>there's been a tendency to have a token series of clips of the aliens
>invading other countries too, but as Allison points out the American
>film-makers are mostly only interested in portraying America.

So that's not colonial/imperialist text but just fact, then. Once we
have established that American film-makers are happy to have it being
American submariners who were responsible for capturing the Enigma
machine before America had even entered the war (U-571) nothing the
film-makers do should surprise us, after all.

[Cecil B de Mille
Sorely against his will
Was persuaded to leave Moses
Out of The Wars of the Roses]

My question was, do critics complain about this Americo-centric view, or
do they just accept it as representing normality?

Minnow