Britocentric fantasy

Allison Marles apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Apr 12 13:05:15 EDT 2004

Mostly, I don't notice it... it's fantasy, afterall.  If I can accept
multiple worlds, magic, and so forth, why can't I accept this alternate
view of Britain.  I guess realistically, if I were to analyse it, I'd
assume there were similar people to Chrestomanci who work in India,
Japan, Brazil whatever, but DWJ just happens to write about the British ones.

And anyone who levels such criticisms really /shouldn't/ be American IMO
since they are forever producing films where the US President is the
ruler of world or saves the world or something.  That's hardly
different.

I don't think it's surprising for American films to be American-centric
or for British novels to be British-centric.  That is afterall what
those filmmakers and novellists know.  I think reading anything more
into it than "that's what the author knows", has to be done very
carefully.  Afterall, if there is a saviour for the world, s/he has to
come from somewhere, so why not Britain or America or wherever the
writer/filmmaker feels like ?

If these books were being written for historical or purely educational
purposes, there might be a fault to be found in them focusing on one
geographic location.  As they aren't, I think it should just be accepted
along with all the other bits of the story.

On a personal note, because I read so many fantasy novels written by
British authors, who base their stories in Britain or parallel
Britains, I have a rather romantical vision of the British Isles as
being flooded with magic.  And as with all good stories, it mostly
goes unnoticed because people are very good at explaining away things
they don't really want to see/know.  And really, my view of the world
is so much more fun this way, I wouldn't wish these authors to change
a thing even if I had the power.  Everybody's world needs a bit of
magic.

Allison