slightly Ot: fairy tales

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Tue Sep 30 14:31:29 EDT 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
|If anyone wants a copy of this [*The Outlaws of Sherwood*] let me know pdq,
|because it is sitting just inside the front door on the way to the charity
|shop at the moment.  You can have it for the price of the postage; it's a
|Macdonald hardback. with dustjacket, 1989, read once only.  Send an
|address....
|
|As I understand it, the author doesn't feel that it is among her finest
|work; I tend to agree with her, if that information is correct.

She can feel that way if she'd like.  ;)  I think it holds up to many
rereadings better than much of her so-called better work, because the
narrative voice isn't as emotionally invested in the heroine, in the
wish fulfillment sense.  With much McKinley, I eventually get the
feeling that I'm reading a very well-written daydream; Outlaws doesn't
vibe that way to me.

-deborah
--
"I assume that some great catastrophe has occured that would
require us to sit upon a weeping lady?"