OT : Names

M.A.Knight at ru.ac.za M.A.Knight at ru.ac.za
Mon Sep 29 16:14:09 EDT 2003

Zowie Bowie is now Joe.

I was born in 1967, went to school in a hippie neighbourhood, and have known
more than my fair share of Moonbeams and Starlights. As far as I know, most of
them have kept their names, or similar variations. I even knew a Karma
Sunshine, who became an accountant, without changing her name.

On a similar note, I knew a number of middle-class liberal white babies born in
South Africa in the first flush of euphoria of 1994, who were given traditional
Zulu, Tswana and Xhosa names, like Simphiwe, Boitumelo and Thandeka. I wonder
how they, and their parents will feel by the time they get to University? I
even know a kid who is now eight with the wonderful name Rolihlahla Levine.

Megan

Quoting minnow at belfry.org.uk: