slightly Ot: fairy tales

Mon Sep 29 13:50:11 EDT 2003

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 17:11:43 -0500 (EST), Laurie Puszczewicz wrote:

>I hate to make it seem like I'm so lazy I run to this list with every
>question I have, but I thought this one might be of interest. For another
>assignment for my children's lit class, I have to choose three versions of
>a single fairy tale and compare them in terms of their portrayal: this
>could include changes in plot, illustrations, etc.

Are you looking at longer books or illustrated ones?  I can think of a
number of good picture books retelling fairy tales.  If these are allowed,
look for them in the J398 section of your library.  These tend to be very
straightforward retellings, unlike the more detailed adaptations you can
find in the juvenile fiction section.  But you will undoubtedly be able to
find at least three versions of the most popular stories.

Donna Jo Napoli is probably the reigning queen of fairy tale retellings, if
only in terms of sheer volume.  She writes books ranging from children's
picture books to young adult fiction.  I've never read her stuff but it's
supposed to be quite good.  She's done Beauty and the Beast, Jack and the
Beanstalk, Rumpelstiltskin, Rapunzel, Hansel and Gretel (with a sympathetic
witch), and the Frog Prince, just for a few.  I don't know how young an
audience they are for.

Gail Carson Levine, in addition to _Ella Enchanted_, has a series of books
for younger readers called The Princess Tales.  _Princess Sonora and the
Long Sleep_ is Sleeping Beauty, and _The Princess Test_ is the Princess and
the Pea.

If you have a strong stomach, there is a novelization of the "Barbie as
Rapunzel" video that is almost certainly geared for younger readers.  Poor
souls.

Good luck!

Melissa Proffitt