slightly Ot: fairy tales

Anita Graham amgraham at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Sep 29 09:12:11 EDT 2003

Laurie wrote:

>  So just out of curiosity, in
> terms of books for younger readers (say age 10 and under),
> does anyone have any thoughts?  Just narrowing it down to
> *which* fairy tale to try to find three contrasting versions
> of is a dautning one, although the minute I send this email I
> am off to check out several sourcebooks recommended by my
> instructor (I *do* do research on these quetions; it's just
> that you all make such a good resource!) Gratefully, Laurie

What about Cinderella? As well as the classic tale there's Ella
Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine, I think. This would be suitable for a
ten-year old. I'm sure there are other tellings out there, but I can't
come up with a well known one at the moment. I'm sure Disney did a
version, so you could see how they changed it.

I know I think of The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery as a Cinderella
variant, but it's probably not aimed at today's ten year old. Although,
it would certainly be readable be one, so maybe you could use it after
all.

Anita Graham