Book recs

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Mon Sep 29 02:48:28 EDT 2003

just a couple of short comments:

you have "Speak" (by Laurie Halse Anderson)  listed twice, which made me
wonder, were any other recommendations seconded on the other, independent
list?

I restriced my recommendations to recent, non-fantasy books. I don't know if
you care, but some of the books on your list don't match these criteria.
"Coraline" by Neil Gaiman is IMHO fantasy
ditto "Across the Nightingale Floor" by Lian Hearn, though less markedly so
"Gathering Blue" by Lois Lowry (companion to The Giver)  strictly speaking,
these are sience fiction books I think. Both describe futuristic dystopias.
Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy is definitely fantasy.
Never heard of the Children of the Red King series, but judging by titles it
sounds like fantasy too.
The Susan Cooper "Dark Is Rising" series is neither recent nor non-fantasy.

And last, but not least,  "Knocked out by my Nunga, Nungas" is in fact the
third sequel to "Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging". As long as you've
got those two on the list, you might as well add the middle sequel: "It's
O.K., I'm Wearing Really Big Knickers"

Happy reading!
Please share your insights and responses, I'd love to know what you think of
these books (particularly whether my own recommendations suited you).