OT : Names

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Sun Sep 28 21:23:22 EDT 2003

> Aside from Laurie in _Little Women_, every single Laurie (or Lori, which
> to my mind is the *wrong* spelling, although seemingly the default one
> here in the US anyway) I've ever encountered was female.  Is it different
> outside the US?

Laurie isn't the only name that's different for you and us. A "Robin" here
is almost always male. Females are spelled "Robyn."  A "Leslie" will be
male, a "Lesley" female. Names that are truly unisex include Val, Jamie,
Lindsay/Lindsey, (though usually that pari goes M/F), Kim/Kym (A Kim can be
either, a Kym will be male) and Chris.

Sallyo.