Woefully OT (Spirited Away)

Kale lskale at metaplaxia.net
Sun Sep 28 19:31:10 EDT 2003

At 08:10 PM 9/28/2003 +0200, Ulrika wrote:
>Some thoughts to Charlie's questions:

>d) Why did Yubaba give Haku a name so very close to his secret name (Kohaku)
>if she didn't want him to remember it? Maybe this makes more sense in
>Japanese. Or was it a case of double-bluff?
>
>The way it seemed to me when Yubaba stole Sen's name, she took most of the
>characters and left only "Sen". So I thought that her name was quite close
>to her real name even if it didn't sound at all similar. Kohaku written
>might be made up of only a few characters, perhaps? (Anyone here who can
>write Japanese??)

That is probably what happened.  The readings for Japanese characters
(kanji) change depending on how they're combined.  Actually, Haku's real
name is quite long:  Nigihayami Kohaku Nushi.   I don't think there is an
official kanji spelling for it, and I don't remember if the river actually
exists.  The Japanese fans seem fond of writing "Kohaku" with the
characters for "amber" which is rather odd, because "haku" can be a reading
for the kanji for "white" (shiroi), which seems more appropriate.  For
example white(shiro) + dragon (ryuu) = hakuryuu (white dragon).

Tea with the White Dragon:Naming of the Gods is a page with musings about
possible kanji combinations for Haku's real name.  Katakana is a Japanese
phonetic alphabet (syllabary) used for foreign words, some names, and for
emphasis.

http://sekaiseifuku.net/hakuname.html

BTW, in answer to Charlie's question about the elevator scene, I'd always
assumed that Yubaba is sorcerously aware of all that goes on in her realms,
so Haku has to be cautious.

Kale